（英）Improvement of Quality of Teaching Materials (Short-Term Training)
Department of Education
PNG consists of more than 400 small and large islands which is covered with steep mountain and deep rain forest. Population is scattered throughout the country and the number of people who live in rural area accounts for more than 80% of total population . Due to this geographical and physical situation, there are many remote schools in the country which suffers from lack of infrastructure, quality teachers and materials.
In this background, Japan has been focusing on distance education for improving quality of education in remote areas. Japan assists Department of Education (DoE)'s EQUITV Program (distance education utilizing TV) by technical cooperations such as EQUITV and EQUITV2 project and grant aids such as construction of National Education Media Centre and provision of media equipment. By these efforts, EQUITV Program has been gradually spread out nation-wide.
However, the quality of the Program still remains as a problem. There are some inconsistent parts or errors in Teachers Resource Book, Student Work Book and model lessons distributed and broadcasted to schools in EQUITV Program. In order to solve these issues, capacity of DoE officers related to material development need to be developed and be equipped with proper knowledge and skill.
Capacity of Department of Education in creating quality teaching materials and school curriculum is developed.
Teaching materials for grade 7 and 8 in EQUITV Program are improved in terms of contents and usefulness by Department of Education officers.
(Note: Teaching materials in EQUITV Program are selected on the ground that they were the only textbooks produced domestically by the hands of PNG people. This technical cooperation is expected to improve our capacity to produce textbooks on our own.)
1. The weak points on teaching materials for grade 7 and 8 in EQUITV Program are identified.
2. To understand general rules and procedures for producing quality teaching materials is enhanced among the officers in Department of Education.
1. To implement comparative studies on PNG curriculum and Japanese curriculum (1) to identify current issues and/or challenges within the PNG curriculum, and (2) to find prescriptions for improvement.
2. To understand effective institutional framework including general rules and procedures for producing quality teaching materials.
1. To provide the funding for the short term training for 2-3 months twice per year for Mathematics and Science
2. To provide travel costs form PNG to Japan and back after training
3. To provide daily allowances, accommodation and transportation costs during the training period
4. To provide medical insurances
1. To identify the appropriate trainees and let them participate in the training.
2. To prepare an appropriate selection criteria
3. To fund the trainees return trip to their region/home/province after their training.
4. To ensure that the trainees have all their necessary travel documents including Japanese visa arrangement
5. To make arrangement to have the trainees keep their normal salaries
6. To make arrangement for the trainees to return to their working area after training
7. To ensure that the trainees on completion of their training utilize the skills they have acquired effectively
Training participants will not leave the DoE immediately after the training and will disseminate the outcome of the training to other DoE staffs.
- The National Department of Education of Papua New Guinea has total of 11 divisions, 902 head quarter staff and almost 45,000 teaching staff teaching in all sectors with the annual budgetary allocation of K715, 132,600.00 (2011 data).
- Education Media Centre comes under Curriculum Development and Assessment Division, Teaching and Learning wing of Department of Education.
1) 我が国の援助活動 Cooperation of the Japanese ODA
- Technical Cooperation Project "Project for Strengthening Long Distance Education (EQUITV1)"
- Technical Cooperation Project "Project for Enhancing Access and Capacity of EQUITV Program (EQUITV Phase 2)"
2) 他ドナー等の援助活動 Cooperation by Other Donor Agencies, etc.
No other donor's assistance related to EQUITV Program.
Project Outline / Aperçu du Projet
|Project Outline / Aperçu du Projet |
- 先頭へ戻る -
Copyright© Japan International Cooperation Agency